Young People

5 reflections on The Courtauld Institute of Art’s Widening Participation Summer University

About education

The Courtauld's Young People's Programme covers both the Institute and Gallery. With this unique function, projects range from widening participation to informal learning. This blog is an informal space for us to share our work.

Monday, 13 January, 2014 by education

I have been asked to write about The Courtauld’s Widening Participation Summer University, which I attended two years ago. As a current first year student I honestly can say that I would not be here if it wasn’t for the scheme! We went to galleries, attended lectures, researched in the libraries and also worked in groups for presentations that rounded off the week.

Summer University 2012 (4) Summer University 2012 (17)

Here are my 5 reflections on the Summer University:

SUBJECT – Several participants, including myself were not entirely sure if the subject was for us – it helped us decide what paths were best for our interests. I particularly found the lectures engaging, you could see the passion of the speaker come through, it does rub off onto you!

PEER NETWORK – It was a great opportunity to make relationships with students from other schools, united by similar interests – two other applicants also study here with me now!

LONDON UNIVERSITY LIFE – By exploring the gallery and other resources available, I experienced the city as a learning environment. Walking into Somerset House every day is quite a unique feeling.

RESOURCES – Few institutions offer the wide variety and quality of resources such as The Courtauld, even if you only spend a few days here, you are sure to remember them! Lecturers and collections alike are world renowned and we were very lucky to have them at our fingertips. They are very much different to those I was used to at school, and we were encouraged to take advantage of them!

ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED – Undoubtedly you will have hundreds of questions (as I did) about art history, the application process etc, all of which were answered by both members of staff and student ambassadors, from more than one point of view.

Harrison Goldman

Current BA student at The Courtauld Institute of Art, and alumni of The Courtauld’s Summer University.

—–

Please note this is a free non-residential course designed for non-selective state school students whose parents or carers have not previously gone to university or who currently receive Income Support or Tax Credits. For more information email education@courtauld.ac.uk or visit http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/degreeprogrammes/admissions/open/summer-uni

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , | Comments Off