Lily-Evelina’s New York Highlights

At the end of February, Documenting Fashion’s MA class took a study trip to New York. Homecoming for some and the first time in America for others, these few days were outstanding, and we are excited to share our highlights with you. 

This was my first trip outside Europe, which was exciting in itself. I enjoyed taking long walks and exploring the city on foot; the walk from Brooklyn to Greenwich Village was especially interesting for the variety of architecture that we saw. I also liked seeing the embroidery samplers at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as such pieces are not often displayed in museums, and it was interesting to read about the historic role of embroidery in girls’ schooling.

Open knit evening dress, circa 1810, The Museum at FIT

At The Museum at FIT, my favourite exhibit was an open knit evening dress from England, ca. 1810, featured in the Fabric in Fashion exhibition. Its cut was typical of the period, but the open knit rendered it a striking take on the Regency trend for sheer fabrics. Upstairs, in the FIT Special Collections, I liked leafing through copies of Rags magazine from 1970. They featured some clever fashion advertisements aimed at counterculture youth, and I found the coded classifieds for New York tattooing services (illegal in the city from 1961-1997) particularly interesting.

Countercultural fashion advertisement in Rags, 1970, FIT Special Collections

Another memorable feature of the New York trip – albeit for different reasons – was the sub-zero temperatures and biting winds. In fact, when I returned to London, my first thought upon alighting the plane was that the temperature here felt practically tropical in comparison.